We're military and move a lot. Pretty sure at some point I am going to lose all my recipes. So, I'm trying to put my favorites on the web to lessen the impact that would have. If you are afraid of losing yours too, you are welcome to send me your favorites or try these and comment.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chicken English Muffins


This is one of my favorites for when we are going on a road trip.  They can be eaten hot or cold.  They are easy to handle with no cutlery or plates required.  I usually make up a double batch as they go fast.  I got the recipe from my step mother-in-law and have typed it up as the original writer put it with just a few of my own changes.  I don't actually know Cindy Sower.

Ingredients:
1 cup cooked chicken cubed (If you cook chicken breasts you can shred them warm)
3 oz package cream cheese softened
3 tablespoons finely chopped or grated onion
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg white
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 to 3/4 tsp sugar
grated mozzarella cheese
English Muffin halves
chopped celery (optional:  gives a little crunch and color)


Combine mayonnaise, cream cheese, egg white, onion, mustard, sugar and blend them together...then add parmesan.  Once you have done this you may add the chicken and mix together.

I usually mix it together the night before I want to make it and put it in the refigerator to set.  This usually gives it a better flavor and is easier to work with the next morning.

On a braoiler pan lay out your muffin halves.  Take a fork and scoop some of the  mixture and put it on the muffin.  You be the judge on how thick you want it.  Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over each muffin; don't be afraid to be a little generous.

Broil until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.  Watch carefully as they can burn easily.  Suggested to broil from the middle of the oven (where you bake cookies).  If your oven broils really high, turn it down a little. 

As I said we usually make the chicken mixture the night before.  I usually make a double batch, and use the larger cream cheese (the 8 oz and use it all, makes it creamier).  The muffins are great leftovers.  You can put them in Tupperware or in Ziploc bags and put them in the refrigerator.  You can eat them cold if you take them on a picnic or road trip or just throw them in the microwave.

When I go to a party, I usually broil them right before I leave the house.  I put aluminum foil in a dish and put the muffins on top.  I usually cut them in half for parties and put foil over them but not to tight or they become mushy.

After Thanksgiving we use our left over Turkey to substitute for the chicken.
Enjoy!
Cindy Sower

No comments:

Post a Comment